Imagine that you are or a loved one is recently diagnosed with a medical condition; let’s say hypertension. Since you are deeply concerned, a family physician is consulted, who prescribes an antihypertensive (e.g. lisinopril) and a statin to address elevated cholesterol levels that was found on bloodwork. Some time later, during a follow up-consult with a cardiologist, you are told that a bypass surgery is recommended due to a narrowed coronary artery (blood vessel nourishing the heart).
18 Jan 19
Most of us have heard that skin is the largest organ of our body. Our skin plays a crucial role in protecting us from pathogens and the elements, helping us eliminate waste material, regulating our body temperature, and conveying messages through the sensation of touch. It is a complex organ that is affected by our inner and outer environments, and we cannot talk about skin without talking about other organ systems.
18 Jan 19
To begin discussing this topic, we should first review the mechanisms behind developing CVD, so that we can discuss ways to prevent it as well as reverse it once an individual has developed it. As mentioned previously, the development of CVD begins with atherosclerosis. This is the term used by medical professionals to describe the process of plaque (fat, cholesterol, etc.) formation and the subsequent hardening of the walls of the arteries.
18 Jan 19
A large portion of people who see naturopathic doctors come with a chief concern of digestive issues. After months of scopes and bloodwork, they are often left without answers from their medical doctor and seek a new perspective. Other times, their diagnostic imaging tests reveal something significant, yet the medical system is still at a loss for treatment options.
Understanding Arthritis - A Naturopathic Approach 18 Jan 19A common misunderstanding is that arthritis is a single disease; however, arthritis just refers to any joint pain or joint disease. In fact, arthritis consists of more than 100 different conditions, which range from relatively mild forms of tendonitis to more systemic forms, such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Lifestyle is Medicine - Naturopathic Approach
- Hormones for Healthy Skin - A Naturopathic Approach
- Heart Disease - How Dangerous Is it?
- Diverticular Disease - Acute and Preventative Management
- Understanding Arthritis - A Naturopathic Approach
- Quitting Smoking - The Challenges and Rewards
- Gastrointestinal Reflux Disease - A Naturopathic Approach
- Food Allergies v. Sensitivities v. Intolerances - The Three Most Common Food Reactions That You Are Experiencing
- Eating Disorders - Clearing Up Confusion
- Curcumin - A Promising Intervention for Diabetes Prevention and Treatment
- Gardening - Research Review
- Vitamin B6, Tryptophan, and Other Serotonin and GABA Influencers - Treatments for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
- Inflammation - This Is Where It’s Coming from
- Alcohol Consumption - Naturopathic Perspectives
- Cleansers, Toners, and Moisturizers: Cosmetic Ingredients - Managing Acne
- Rheumatoid Arthritis - Naturopathic Perspectives
- The Protein Myth - Vegetarians Can Get Enough Protein
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - A Review of the Condition and Current Nutritional Therapies
- Where Is My Missing Period? Naturopathic Approaches
- Should Bananas Be Part of a Healthy Diet? Naturopathic Considerations